An eighth person has now died after drinking hand sanitizer in a desperate attempt to get drunk at a party...
It is the most horrendous of situations.
After running out of alcohol, partygoers recently resorted to drinking the toxic substance in order to continue with their evening, but it resulted in the worst possible thing.
Now, as you should all be aware...
Anti-bacterial hand sanitizer is not designed for human consumption.
Many sanitizers are made with an alcohol-based solution...
And typically contain an alcoholic volume of around sixty percent.
However, while most of us use our common sense to avoid putting it anywhere near our mouths, a small number of people actually get a little excited over the prospect of an alcoholic element.
Throughout the last couple of months, the Centers for Disease Control has been reporting an influx in hand sanitizer-related injuries.
The CDC has been warning people not to drink hand sanitizer?after several have become sick and even died from the practice.
"Alcohol-based hand sanitizer products should never be ingested," they said in a new report released in August this year.
The report detailed that, between May 1st through to June 30th, there were fifteen cases of methanol poisoning in Arizona and New Mexico...
4 of which resulted in death.
The other cases resulted in permanent injuries, such as visual impairments and seizures.
Obviously, most of us simply cannot fathom as to why someone would resort to drinking hand sanitizer...
But the CDC predicts that people might be misunderstanding the FDA advisories about the alcohol-based solutions.
And this brings us back to the latest hand-sanitizer incident.
9 people at a house party were hospitalized last month after they resorted to drinking the anti-bacterial hand wash after running out of alcoholic drinks.
Of course, people could not believe what they were hearing when the news broke...
And many began pointing out the blatant issue we have with alcohol and substance abuse.
The incident occurred on November 19th in the Tattinsky district of Russia's largest region, Yakutia.
After running out of alcoholic drinks, 9 people at a house party drank antiseptic hand wash in an attempt to continue getting drunk.
The sanitizer contained sixty-nine percent methanol.
The first 3 victims were a forty-one-year-old woman, and 2 men aged twenty-seven and fifty-nine.
6 others were then flown by a medical evacuation aircraft to the regional capital, Yakutsk.
In the days following the incident, 3 more men died...
Aged twenty-eight, thirty-two, and sixty-nine. One more death was reported the following day.
Federal public health watchdog, Rospotrebnadzor, released a statement which explained:
"9 cases of poisoning with sanitizer have been registered, including 7 that were fatal."
The regional state prosecutor then added:
"The poisoning took place as a result of drinking sanitiser."
And now, a couple of weeks on from the incident...
An eighth person has passed away from the injuries caused by drinking the hand sanitizer.
The latest victim was a forty-eight-year-old mother.
Her husband was one of the first to die from the deadly cocktail.
An investigation was launched shortly after the party-goers were hospitalized...
And it has since been reported that Alexander Kalinin, a businessman from the Sverdlovsk region, has been arrested on suspicion of supplying the sanitizer, which has been found in public buildings such as schools, kindergartens, prisons, and other businesses.
Forty-four-year-old Kalinin is currently under house arrest while he is investigated...
And if found guilty, he could face up to 6 years in prison.
Rest in Peace to all the victims of this terrible accident.
Make sure to stay posted for updates on this developing story.
For more, read on to learn about the men who were hospitalized after they drank bleach to try and "cure" coronavirus...